The information provided on this and other pages by me, Simone Rhea (srhea.1994@gmail.com), is under my own personal responsibility. Similarly, any opinions expressed are my own and I do not claim any rights over third-party works. Please do not copy anything from this site without permission. If you want to use any information, please contact me. Contact details can be found in the About Me page to the right. If I give permission, an acknowledgement of the blog must be stated clearly. Thank you.

Saturday 18 February 2012

STARCROSSED by Josephine Angelini

I think the main thing to say about this novel is this: I couldn’t put it down! For £1 on Kindle it is a bargain! If I knew the author, I would have been willing to pay more, and will definitely be keeping my eye out for future Josephine Angelini novels.

I was unsure in the beginning, thinking the characters were a bit like Twilight. Just little things like the cars; the build of the characters; the heroine living alone with her dad; all of the new family in town being super attractive. But that is as far as it really goes, and I can’t slate her for there being a few similarities, as no book can possibly lack similarities to anything else.

This is not Twilight. This book is too… There is something different about it. It’s less easy going. I don’t know how Josephine does it, but the story is told in a pace that shouldn’t work yet it does. It got my heart pounding. One minute the characters were in love and together, the next they couldn’t; one minute she was leading a semi-normal life, the next she has discovered why all the crazy stuff was going on. It gave the story an edge that you don’t get in many books. You don’t have to read through the dull boring bit until you get to the good, because she manages to make it all exciting yet still allow the audience to follow the story. Brilliant writing, especially for a first novel.

I thought that the whole story was about the two characters having to hate each other (well, wanting to kill each other!), although they were truly in love. Surprisingly, that hating part was resolved quite soon and a bigger story was developed. I know that there is a lot more to come in this trilogy, and I honestly can’t wait for the other books in the series to be published.

I think that if you like the supernatural and all things like that, then you should definitely give this book a try! It is scary at times (kind of). Not make you drop the book and run type, but just ghosts (spirits, phantom things) here and there. The storyline is brilliant and, like I said before, you can see how it can be developed over another two books. Even if you just want something to pass the time, I would say this book definitely does that and at an affordable price too – bonus.

2 comments:

  1. I really dislike the character of Daphne. Really I hate all characters that have their own agenda that they will do anything to accomplish. But she's kind of taking it to the next level. Besides I can't help but be jealous of the Face That Launched A Thousand Ships. I wish people had cool titles like this now.

    I'm really excited to see where the story goes from here, and how mythology will be further woven into this saga. Angelini has a beautiful debut that knocked my socks off. I was a little wary before I read the book, because the last mythology book I read was the Goddess Test, which sorely lacked in the god area, where this one packs a serious punch. Besides the fact that the TROJAN WAR is way cooler than the myth of Persephone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I share your dislike of Daphne, mostly because of how she deceives the characters. I hate unreliable characters, especially when it comes between love and breaks trust.

      I agree with your comment about The Face That Launched A Thousand Ships, it would definitely make names more exciting! Although I can't think of a current person to give such a title too... I've been trying to think of a good one, but my thoughts are failing me!

      Mythology has always interested me and it gave this story an edge that isn't in similar books. I can't wait for the sequel, only eight days to go. However, I will have to read Starcrossed again to get it fresh in my mind. I feel it may get complicated.

      Delete